mtw1tter

Michael Gruber
The Twenty-Seventh City
Jonathan Franzen

S.A.I.N.T.S. Song of Winds

S.A.I.N.T.S. Song of Winds - Julian Kim 2 words. James Rollins-lite.

I am probably 'not with it' for the current action based novels that crosses time/geographical periods in the style of a Rollins or a Matthew Reilly (self-proclaimed australian action writer) so reading this is actually a chore (nothing against the writer/book/plot) for me.

This YA (with decidedly adult theme in language/action) debut wears its literary influences lightly but betrays it with quick switches between locations and diagrams and maps (reminiscent of Dan Brown/Matthew Reilly) which pops up mysteriously in the last 1/4 of the book.

Unfortunately, there is no conviction on the part of the editors to present a coherent structure to the book so it feels like a story in the first 1/4, another one in the middle 1/2 and then another direction is taken in the last 1/4.

It lost me when the 'superpowers' came into play.

The strength of James Rollins' adventure thriller is that it just skirts around the edge of credibility by anchoring all the characters/action in reality and have incredible things happening to them.

The trouble/problem with S.A.I.N.T.S is that it loses that credibility thread by letting the characters run away with it and then spin their alternative history and then some.

All in all, it is an interesting debut but it could be so much better with a tighter, more coherent plot and serious editing. It could lose 100 pages and make more sense.